I shared with you on Sunday a conversation from the youth Sunday school class (also known as the Class of Awesomeness!). This conversation has driven me to much thought.
We studied the story of Jesus' appearance to two travelers on the Road to Emmaus. (Read Luke 24: 13-35) After our study we began a discussion of how these two disciples knew that it was Jesus they were with, because they obviously did not recognize him. We talked about how Jesus' actions of blessing, breaking and sharing bread revealed his presence to these unsuspecting followers and how we, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) denomination, celebrate this sacred meal each time we gather so that we, too, may encounter the risen Christ.
This led to questions of where else we might encounter Christ. The immediate response was that we encounter the risen Christ in each other whenever good things are done in his name. Since this discussion I've pondered where else we might encounter Christ in our everyday lives. While this list is not exhaustive, here are a few ways I have encountered Christ lately…
- In a picture of a soldier sitting amidst a war-torn village hugging a local dog.
- In driving past horse farms and seeing the new foals running and playing on spindly legs.
- In an encounter with a church member who asks if we have someone in the kitchen for VBS and then she immediately volunteers herself.
- In a group of women gathering around one who is crying and broken from too many failed relationships, sharing with her that she IS a woman of worth and there IS a love for her in the world.
- In a woman who stands before the congregation and shares how the important ministry of Walk for the Well is not just about raising funds for a needed organization, but is also about community building.
- When I drop my daughter and her friend off at school and one drops her books, not only does the other one help, but the kid from the car behind us in line runs up to help out.
- When the church secretary is inundated with project after project and she still smiles and says, "it's fine, I got it."
- When I get letters from youth I barely know from churches I've never served that share with me their walk in faith.
- When a church member comes to me for a hug because she has to leave early and won't be going through the line after worship.
- When my colleague and friend comes into my office just to ask how I'm doing.
These are just a few ways I've encountered Christ…I wonder where you might see him.